Saturday, August 31, 2013

Kara's Packing Tips


  • PACKING.
     
    Monday, the first day when everyone else was back at school, I woke up at 10:30 and started packing the day away. Not only packing, but I did a full-scale cleanout of my room. It's easy to believe because I am in fact a teenager that keeps her room a step above tornado mosh pit. As I was packing, I was army-rolling the clothing I wasn't taking in my drawers so I could fit more into them, as I was army-rolling them into my suitcase too. 
IF YOU ARE PACKING FOR EXCHANGE, READ THIS. THIS IS WHAT I AM DOING:
  1. Plan accordingly to what will be the easiest during the flight and our Rome orientation. Wear your heavy garment on the plane, whether it is a coat, sweatshirt, jacket, sweater, or whatever it may be. It will save room in your suitcase and save some extra ounces, and you will be able to take it off during flight. AFS says to pack all that you would need for the Rome orientation (3 days and 2 nights) into a small bag (your carry on) because you will not be able to access your suitcase during the orientation. Since the Italians don't wear sweatpants or any sort of relaxation clothing, that is what I'm packing in my carry on for orientation. Just for organization and all of my clothing for school and such is in my actual suitcase. 
  2. Pack things that you are able to missmatch (wear with other things). Don't pack "outfits", pack "pieces". Ladies, check out this guide if you don't know what I mean.
  3. Instead of using plastic bags/grocery bags to pack things in, use bags that you would use there for activities. My carry on is actually my backpack. I am putting all of my undergarments in a pullstring bag, that I can also use for an overnight trip or a beach day. All of my host family's gifts are going into a larger bag that I can use for anything as well. With such limits that we have, you can't be wasteful with space and weight. Also, if you have smaller items (like make up, any sort of toiletries, pens, pencils, those small things), stick them within other things so they don't take up room themselves. Roll them in shirts, stick them in pants pockets, stuff socks/shoes with them, etc. 
  4. Keep in mind that you will be washing the clothing you bring and buying clothes when you are over there, so don't freak out when you can't fit your closet into your suitcase. Just bring your absolute favorite things to wear so you aren't stuck with things that just take up space.
  5. Limit the amount of shoes you bring, and bring them according to where you are going. My host family, for example, loves to go to the gym. So I am definitely bringing my nike sneakers instead of a pair of converse. If you're going to the North, you probably don't want to bring 8 pairs of sandals and flip flops, and no boots. Think ahead! 
  6. Going off of "thinking ahead", look into what is appropriate to wear to your host school. I know my host school doesn't allow short shorts, which are really popular in the USA. I am going to Sicily, which it will be hot for most of the year, but I am not packing many really short shorts because I won't be able to wear them. 
  7. DON'T BRING YOUR HAIR STRAIGHTENER/CURLING IRON. I actually was told this over the information call back a few weeks ago with a past AFSer. Apparently the voltage in the outlets there are much stronger than that of the USA's, so it causes your flat iron or curling iron to break. Wait and borrow one or just buy one there. (I'm not sure if the voltage in other countries are as different from Italy's as the US's are.)
things that I thought would be a good idea to bring:
  • advil (some headache medicine)
  • of course, outlet adapters! pack them in your carry on for the hotel!
  • small umbrella (I am walking to school, so it will be fitting in my backpack)
  • pens, pencils, and paper to write on (I'm taking 2 notebooks, 1 big and 1 small journal sized one)
  • a book (I just bought "The Fault in our Stars" today for the plane)
Hope this has helped, my fellow exchange students!

1 comment:

  1. The Fault in our Stars... That's John Green, isn't it? He made a pretty cool thing on YouTube, called Crash Course World History. You'd get a kick out of it.

    ReplyDelete