Thursday, August 8, 2013

Pain and Misery (figuratively and literally)

Ciao ragazzi! It's been some crazy two days. Yesterday was my visa appointment, and today I got my wisdom teeth out. I'm pretty sure they were both equally painful. I am Kara Richards, whose alter ego is definitely the Godfather right now, and this is my story.

In ovest Filadelfia, nato e cresciuto....
Kudos to you if you can figure out what that caption means without using google translate. But anyways, let's start at the very beginning (a very good place to start).

I woke up dazed and confused at 5:30, and I got out of bed right away. This was the first time I used my school alarm since June 6th, and probably the last time I will use it until August of 2014. Useless added detail. Anyways, I hauled myself out of bed and put on the outfit I got especially for Italy, because my mom started getting scared that I didn't have enough nice-ish clothing that I was told I would wear a lot. It was all from Old Navy and probably had a total of 30 dollars, so it's all good. So we hit the road around 6:30, and we were cruising. The only bump in the road was stopping at a Wawa pumped to get a sandwich but they didn't have any. WHAT WAS UP WITH THAT, WAWA?! 

As always, no matter what time of day it is, we hit traffic entering the city. There was an off ramp clogged up so it was very stop-and-go, but still not that bad as it wasn't even 8 o'clock yet. We were almost hit by a tire. A tire? How the crap does that happen? Well my italicized friend, when we had to break to a (sorta) abrupt stop, someone lost a tire. We were on the far right lane with me in the passenger's seat, and it zoomed by us, narrowly missing our rear-view mirror and going very, very fast. When traffic started moving again, the tire was all the way in the far left lane, and behind us a tractor trailer pulled over, the definite source of the tire. And that, friends, is the story of the runaway tire that could of wrecked our car.

We arrived to the Consulate a little after 8 and we didn't realize how close it was to Independence Hall. We actually parked in the garage made for the Liberty Bell tourists. We walked 2 blocks to where the consulate was (with the overwhelming scent of sewage lingering the whole way). We walked in and signed in, then went outside because the building didn't have air conditioning and it was unbelievably nice outside.  
#selfie

We then headed up after watching the line of tourists trying to get into Independence Hall (I'm actually standing right beside the Congress Hall, connected to Independence Hall in the picture above). It was so close and I hadn't ever noticed it before. 

We got to the tenth floor where the visa office was located and there were 6 people waiting in the hallway. The office supposedly opened at 9 but it didn't open until 9:15, so we started late and the appointments just ran later and later. The woman working there was very intimidating. There were 3 or 4 appointments in front of us, and she was very frustrated with the first 2. It made me really anxious that it wouldn't go well, and to top that off, my dad was running late. He was stuck in traffic. 

My appointment was scheduled for 9:40, but since they had started late they were already behind. He walked in 3 minutes before they called me up to the woman. It was like a bank appointment, really. She was behind a wall of glass with a little hole for speaking and a slot underneath. We gave her all my visa papers and there were literally NO FLAWS with my appointment. She leafed through, stamped the date everywhere, and I was done. All of my worst fears were exterminated, and now we just have to wait for the visa to come in the mail within 3 weeks. (Note: in case you're unfamiliar with what a visa is, it's really just a stamp in your passport.)

By the time we left, we ran right into Katie (aka http://katiewantsapizzaitaly.blogspot.com) walking to her visa appointment. We kinda threw together a plan for me to hang out with her while she got her visa, so I stuck with her for the day. We went to the convenient gift shop literally connected to the consulate and got some lollipops and post cards. 

To make a very long story short, her appointment was scheduled for 11:20 and we didn't leave the office until 1 o'clock. It was a long wait. A very long wait. After getting out, we went straight to lunch at this amazing restaurant/cafe called Cosi (it has an italian accent over the I, I just don't feel like figuring out how to make them right now). It's like a fancier Panera Bread, and boy was it good. Not to mention it was the first thing I ate all day besides a lollipop. I got a flatbread shrimp sandwich and it was DELICIOUS. After eating we got caught in a rainstorm and were drenched the whole way home. We went back to Katie's house for 2 hours and then we ran to Lancaster where my mom works, and she picked me up. End of Philadelphia, day 1.

PICTURES.

 Independence Hall

 Consulate and the Congress Hall


 Hottiez



Wisdom Teeth don't make no sense.

Today was the day I had to get my wisdom teeth out. My dad picked my brother and I up and we were on our way to the place. I wasn't really nervous the week or so leading up to this, but I started getting really worried when I walked in. Plus watching the Steve Harvey show in the waiting room did not help the situation at all. I was taken back to the operating room that didn't really look like an operating room, and they sat me down. I had my blood pressure taken, and they put one of those oxygen things up my nose. That really started to scare me. I have never had surgery before, so I didn't know what to expect. They hooked me up to an IV, but before they did that, they couldn't get a vein in my arm so they put it through my left hand, which actually hurt a lot. It hurt even more when they actually started pumping the mysterious drug fluid through it. The last thing I recall doing before going to sleep is having another nurse come in and say that I was bringing the sunshine out (it was cloudy all day and suddenly got sunny) in an awesome Scottish accent. I asked her if she was from Scotland and of course she said yes, (stupid question anyways), and then she smiled at me, reached above me to turn the big light on, and that's all I remember. 

I woke up and I didn't even think they did the surgery. I thought I was being punk'd, because it felt like I was asleep for like, 3 minutes. I couldn't even tell anything was done to me until I tried to speak and walk, which nearly made me fall over. Plus I was very cold and covered in goose pimples. I was released within 10 minutes, and then this happened. 
It is sideways, but this is me telling the story you just heard in an illiterate fashion. I do mention the Godfather, David Tennant, and bad Chinese food. Don't ask me what some of the stuff is that I'm saying, because it's incoherent to me too. 

Now, I'm just sitting on my dad's couch, and all I've had to eat all day is 2 cups of applesauce, a glass of water, and a little thing of ice cream that I could barely eat. If someone can figure out a way to get some form of a bacon cheeseburger, large McDonald's fries, onion rings, a pulled pork sandwich, chili, and a burrito that I can eat, please tell me. These food commercials are so horribly tempting. 

Untiw den, fwiends. 

PS, I can't pronounce R's and L's yet. YAY.


No comments:

Post a Comment