Thursday, August 15, 2013

19 days out.

Since I've been chillaxin' on my couch for the past 48 hours and still look like I was beat up in a back alley, I've had a lot of time to just think about what's about to go on. Currently, I have excelled to almost solid foods, like ground beef, eggplant, salad, crackers, and sliced potatoes. Today, like every other Monday, I am home alone. Know what that means? UNLIMITED INTERNET! That's right, kids. Why throw a wild party when the internet is always there for you?

As the title says, I'm only 19 days out from leaving for Italy. It's good to know that I'm spending most of those days sitting on my couch doing absolutely nothing with my life except blogging and keeping a facebook window open, just to complain about how much I hate facebook. My mind is a complicated place right now, taking account of everything that needs to be done, doing everything, and just being a completely paranoid android about anything my mind can find something that has the potential to go wrong. Plus when you're 19 days out, reality hits you harder than ever before. But in this case, reality starts to not make too much sense. It's been occurring to me all the stupid stuff I will miss when I'm gone for 10 months. Just for kicks and giggles, here's some.

  1. Turkey Hill Iced Tea: If you're not from the northern part of the Eastern Seaboard, you have no idea what I'm talking about. Turkey Hill is a widespread gas station where I live, and they have their own iced tea, ice cream, milk products, etc. that they are known for. Turkey Hill is basically the iconic drink anywhere you go around here; kids carry them around in their backpacks, they're sold in every vending machine, grocery store, and cafeteria you can find, plus it's basically a ticket for kidney stones. But we are a-okay with that because it's 16 fluid ounces of pure happiness.
  2. Walking to my first period class with headphones on: This one is even more lame than the last one. Last year, I had a long walk to my first period class from where the buses dropped us off, so I literally had a track I'd walk through the school to. My special track (brace yourself) was seriously, "The Imperial March" from Star Wars. Yes, you read that correctly. For 4 minutes every day, I was the biggest BA to walk those halls and no one else could tell. Instead of walking from the front to the back of the building now, I will be walking through town. I think I may need a little more than a 4 minute track to get there. 
  3. Getting into debates in English class: My 9th grade English teacher and I had an awesome relationship, and any time she wanted our opinions on a book or topic, I'd love to express my own. I was known for going above and beyond on stuff, especially while studying Romeo and Juliet. A lot of times, we'd spend half a class period going on and on about our opinions of the book and they were some of my favorites, just getting so deeply involved into the book. 
  4. The Solanco Fair: This is probably going to be the hardest for me. The Solanco Fair is a three-day fair in the middle week of September, along with a parade the first night of it. It's not a fair with rides and carnies, though. We display tractors, show cattle and every other farm animal imaginable, baking contests, knitting, quilting, sewing, crocheting displays, and not to mention my favorite part, the food. It was the only 3 days of the year that my dinners were of elephant ears (fried dough covered in cinnamon sugar), chocolate milkshakes, french fries, and snow cones. The parade is just local businesses throwing candy out and waving out of their work vehicles.The Solanco Fair is literally such a huge part of the culture here, kids get day passes so they can work there. We have the option in middle school to be shuttled from school straight to the fairgrounds. I'm literally leaving the week before and it may just as well kill me. I'm going to miss this more than probably all of my classmates combined.
  5. The Drama Department: School musical and drama club are (a lot of the times) the reason for my existence in school. I LIVE for music, and I actually wrote a play myself over summer for the Drama club to perform next year. I have written plays previously for our Drama Club, and they turned out to be a success. Even though most of the people I don't like are part of the drama/music department, it's always the highlight of my school year. I'm working on being skyped in for the musical, so if you go to Solanco, please contact me if you're interested in sending me a video or skyping me in. (;
  6. Past teachers: This is another one that I will have a horrible time with. It's such a close-knit school district that you can easily be in contact and meet up with the teachers who have influenced you. I've had so many teachers who have impacted me and inspired me over the years to be more than what is expected. Of course I have email, but nothing beats a hug from the people who mean the most in life. Basically, if you want to read the extended version of number 6, scroll down to my previous entry, "Inspirations of a 15 year-old world traveler". 
  7. The ability to wear sweats to school: if you really want to upset a lazy teenager, just tell them that sweatpants aren't appropriate to wear to school. If you want to throw them into full-on crisis mode, tell them that they aren't allowed anywhere. In Italy, sweatpants are only acceptable when you're going to sleep in them, or stay at home where no one can see you. (I can feel all the teenagers internally screaming while they read this)
  8. YOUTUBE.  YouTube is mainly the reason I'm beginning to not blog every other day. It's basically my television now, and since internet access isn't that great over in Italy, guess who won't be getting her daily dose of internet trolls anymore. 

This post took me 6 days to even finish because I was so lazy writing it. Most likely because I have barely left the house at all in the past week. My mouth has healed up basically just fine, I'm almost back to normal. Kids, I swear, eat a TON of pineapple the day before you go get your wisdom teeth out. It makes it so much quicker to be able to eat solid foods/eases the pain!! 

I'm actually heading out to Pittsburgh tomorrow night, so I promise that these entries will be A LOT more interesting! Arrivederci per ora, ragazzi! 

No comments:

Post a Comment