Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Dear Michael S. Jeffries, I hate you. (a rant about Abercrombie's CEO)

Friends, it has come to my attention that in the past few days, CEO of the ever-so-famous Abercrombie and Fitch, Michael S. Jeffries, made some comments about who they target to attract in their stores.

Mr. Jeffries is 68 years old, born in 1944. Abercrombie and Fitch was born in 1892, and bought out by Limited Brands in 1988 due to a bankruptcy. After a few years, Jeffries was put in control of Abercrombie and Fitch without the management of Limited Brands. Ever since, he is named number 8 on the Forbes list, and the creator of the new Abercrombie and Fitch lifestyle.
A nice little mugshot.

Now this is not a report on the history of Abercrombie and Fitch with Michael Jeffries. This is a rant. 

"In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids," he says. "Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don't belong [in our clothes], and they can't belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely. Those companies that are in trouble are trying to target everybody: young, old, fat, skinny. But then you become totally vanilla. You don't alienate anybody, but you don't excite anybody, either." 

Spoken straight from the mouth of a true, all-American imbred? Correct. 

Michael Jeffries is a prejudiced jackwagon, to keep this entry PG. I am a proud, modest, 180 pound teenage girl with no self esteem issues, no wishes to be a size 2, and no tearful trips down the corridors of the shopping mall. But this...this makes me want to cut someone's fingers off and feed them to a dog. Preferably Michael Jeffries. I am not upset at the fact that I can not fit into Abercrombie, and I'm rather happy about it. It's overpriced, made by children in Southern Asia, definitely NOT "all-American", and made for Build A Bear dolls. 

This is what is wrong with the world. There are girls all over the country that are going into shopping malls and into Abercrombie and Fitch with fifty dollars they saved up for a birthday gift, and they walk out of Abercrombie with a single T-shirt, proud of what they had. Lo and behold, the cheaply made, too-tight, fifty dollar shirt fades and falls apart within 5 wears and washes. There are girls trying on button downs and jeans in dressing rooms, just praying it will fit, it will fit, just so they can be like a cooler kid, and it just won't work. You, sir, are the reason for girl's turmoil. 

I remember being at the mall in the sixth grade with one of my best friends. We walked into Abercrombie, and I felt like I was obligated to get something because that's what all the cool kids did. I found a nice plaid shirt on the clearance rack, and coaxed myself into trying it on. It didn't fit, and I was upset. That's what he wants though, apparently. For girls to be upset with the way they look, and be upset that they can't fit in with all the assholes that wear this stuff. 

Come on.

I, of course, grew out of this. I, from time to time, slip on a gas mask and step into Abercrombie and Fitch with a friend. The workers there ARE attractive, young, and hot. I have no disagreement with Jeffries here. But what they are is rude. They're the type of people that if I was their barista, I'd spit in their Frappucino. Being under the paycheck and the ruling of Jeffries, I can see why. 

If you do your research, this man will speak like a 13 year old wannabe. Using "dude", "perv", etc. in his everyday vocabulary. Basically, just play COD on xbox live and you get the same effect. He has dyed his hair blonde, and by pictures, it's almost obvious he's had work done to his facial structure. Don't mind my opinion. He himself is trying to fit in with the teen/young adult crowd at 68 years old. So kids, the moral of the story is, don't be prejudiced and never, ever, ever try to fit in. 

Jeffries has bluntly stated that America's undesireable, ugly, overweight, and weird kids can shop elsewhere. And you know what? I gladly will. I would rather vomit all over the store of Abercrombie and Fitch just to watch them clean it up than spend a single penny inside that store. No matter how old you are, or how old you will be, you face the challenge of "to fit in, or not to fit in". Jeffries is obviously still stuck in the bubble he's been in since the 50's. I'm proud to say that I am an overweight cheapskate that would rather buy a David Bowie shirt from Hot Topic, even Target, than buy some thongs and a 120 dolla pair of jeans from a CE-Douchebag. Even though he's laughing his way to the bank, I'm laughing my way to self confidence as he buys 5 more pounds of hair dye.  I'm sorry that not all American girls are fighting tooth and bone to fit in some cheaply made shirts with mooses on them, Jeffries. I'm also sorry that you are going to rot in Hell. I'm not sorry that I will laugh. Fornicate with a cactus, grandpa. 

Love and kissies,
Kara. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment