Saturday, July 27, 2013

Tour de Quarryville: 40 days to go.

Ciao ragazzi!

It's kind of been a while since I've posted.... Well actually I'm just to lazy to look it up so let's just say I didn't blog yesterday. It's been some time. Stuff has happened since then, too.

Daaaang girl, look at dem wisdom teeth.
Yes folks, it's that miserable time of life where your hormone-imbalanced body starts sprouting up teeth when you're in the midst of your teenage years, and I just got there at the beginning of this week. Since my mom works from 8 to 5 every day, I had to walk to my dentist. It's no biggie, because it's just a couple blocks away. So I got out of bed that morning, ate some grapes, filled up my 32oz. water bottle and headed out. I just got some x-rays done and discovered that it was, in fact, my wisdom teeth coming in. But there is actually a glimmer of good news in this story, and that would be the fact I only have 2 wisdom teeth! 
Wisdom tooth. Wat r u dooin. Wisdom tooth. Stahp itttt.

Tour de Quarryville
Since I was already out and it was only a little past 9 in the morning, I decided to take a walk. My town, Quarryville, if you haven't guessed, is very small. Meaning that in the 2 hour stroll I took I covered all of town. I've been meaning to take a day to do something like this before I left, taking odd pictures just to remember stuff by. The stuff that was trademarked to my area that I knew I wouldn't see for ten months. 

I went to my elementary school and sat on top of this big plastic rock that was installed during my second grade year, I believe, and just reminisced about all that happened to me in this town. I just looked around and thought of everything that happened to me, just on that playground. I remembered telling my third grade teacher all about the book I was reading, and how she tried to shoo me away because I was an annoyance, but I didn't realize it back then. I remembered me and my friends at a carnival in the fifth grade getting "dumb and dumber" painted on our forearms, then getting sunburnt and having it there for the next week. I remembered singing a PG version of Hot and Cold by Katy Perry at the weird version of American Idol the fifth graders put on in my classroom. I remembered being so proud of myself for getting to write a story about the Rugrats in the first grade. I remembered being too afraid to climb the rockwalls and being too lazy to run around with the other kids, so I spent most of my time sitting on the bench and walking around, just talking about things that didn't really matter. I remember (here's how weird we were back then) making choreographed dances to "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga the year it came out when I was in the fifth grade. I remembered all the lines of the "funky hat" song from Wizards of Waverly Place, and then thought briefly about where all my childhood role models are now. Story being, I sat on that rock for 20 good minutes just thinking about what made me go to where I am today. When I was probably in second or third grade, Olympic skater Johnny Weir came to my elementary school and gave a little speech about how we will grow up to achieve and carry our generation. Johnny Weir attended my elementary school, by the way. But anyways, I remember one thing that he said, if anything, and that was "I don't know which one of you is the next Britney Spears or Donald Trump, but some of you will grow up and change the world in some way." Even when I was 8, I had this gut feeling that I would do something to put myself out there before I graduated. I guess going to Italy is it. Instead of Hannah Montana pulling into my driveway and inviting me on to the seat next to her in her limousine and riding off into the sunset for Los Angeles, it's about getting out there. Out there. Out there where all the girls my age talk about and fantasize about and pin to their Pinterest accounts but I get to live there. I get to learn there. I get to be a part of there. It makes me want to scream just to know that I actually made it. I made it out of my goody-two-shoes and trying-my-hardest-to-fit-in persona I had for 8 bloody years and I pushed myself to achieve more than my hometown had to offer. And I'm doing it. I got a grip of reality and realized that achievement isn't going to just pull up in your driveway in a blonde wig, but it'll more likely show up in an email attachment and a flyer in your Spanish classroom with a lot of time spent in Google Docs and filling out paperwork. So, if you're caught in a mediocre life and waiting for your version of Hannah Montana to pull up in your driveway, just remember; the world is waiting for YOU to pull up in its driveway and say "I'm gonna do this, and you can't tell me no."

Woah, holy preacher moment. Sorry kids.

Anyways, my day resulted in this. 
The panoramic shot from where I sat on the big plastic rock and thought about life.
It was an obligation to make a dumb face in this picture, but this is like a national monument in Quarryville. A house has a most-likely-10-foot-tall metal dinosaur in their front yard, as shown behind me.

I looked like the ultimate teenager taking this photo, but it's just the main stretch of road in town. Christian music store, funeral home, Rite Aid pharmacy, bank, store run by Mennonites, Turkey Hill (gas station), Ford dealership, Supermarket (plus stuff like Family Dollar, the thrift shop I work at, and some bad Chinese food), Burger King, Subway, an ice cream joint, and a laundromat. Phew. 

Ragazzi, I hope you enjoyed reading about my life as much as I enjoyed writing this post. There are a few posts I really hit home in my heart writing, and this was definitely one of them. Tutti siete fantastico. 

Fino successiva!

No comments:

Post a Comment