Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Let's play catch-up/it's seriously the end of July already

Buongiorno i miei amici!

I've been too lazy to blog the past 3 days, which is amazing because even the laziest of humans sit around and blog all day. I think it's the whole thing with doing things and actually having to leave the house and go outside (every teenager's worst nightmare) that is wearing me down into not even wanting to go online, with the exception of checking my email. I am literally completely unmotivated to do nothing but sit around and scroll through the newsfeeds of social media that barely ever change. 44 days until Italy, and I haven't blogged since that number was 48. So here's what's been up.

I went to the bloody godforsaken DMV for the first time in my life on Saturday. Why go to the DMV a month before leaving the country and when I'm only 15? I needed a student ID for the satanic student visa and my school is very low-key and doesn't distribute them. So we get to the DMV and sort of just look at all the miserable people waiting in chairs in front of us, laugh, and really want to turn around but we can't. We get one of these numbers on a deli ticket of pain (it's like a receipt with a number on it like you'd get at a deli) and wait around for our number to be called. We are only about 13 numbers behind so we just sit anywhere. My number is called and it turns out, we were in the wrong line and were told by an extremely (pardon le french here) bitchy woman that we were not only sitting in the wrong area, but we had to wait with all the miserable people across the room. We get a ticket and this time we are 80 people in front of us and no seating room (god forbid strangers sit directly next to each other and put their belongings on the floor) so we sit in the back on the floor. After 15 minutes and only 5 numbers being called we realize that we have well over an hour to kill before we are called for this, plus we saw a Chinese buffet before walking in, so we decide to check it out.

We walk in the door of this buffet, and would've been better off turning the heck around and walking out the door. But we didn't, of course. The hostess (who was a man so I don't know if there's a manly term for that) upon us walking in the door asked us to follow him to our table. Long story short it was like playing Fear Factor with your lunch.

Ended up with a TEMPORARY student ID. Nothing makes sense.

After becoming an hour or so late, we headed up afterwards to my grandfather's house for a little cookout we were having, and because my uncle was in from Michigan and it would be the last time I'd see him before I left.

I went to Rehoboth Beach yesterday with my mom and ex-coworker, Julia, who spent 4 months in Italy when she was in college. My mom and her used to work together wrangling wild mini humans (my term for "working at a daycare") for the first few months since we moved out of my dad's house until she found a better-paying job. We always try to hang out a little here and there, normally just sitting around while my mom and her have a drink and I sip lemonade and pretend I'm doing the same. Anyways, we woke up at three in the morning and left around four, as soon as Julia got to our house. The world's a barren place before 6 o'clock, and you can't help but wonder why the people are out that are.We got to the Rehoboth block of shops right at 6, where we ate breakfast at the one restaurant open that wasn't a fast food joint. After breakfast, we headed straight to the beach and basically slept on the beach until 9, when the rest of humanity decided to go to the beach for the day.

The rest of the day, until about 1 or 2, we were on the beach. I actually fell asleep to the point of snoring at one point, toasting my back a little. It was nice not being with kids for once, but there were plenty surrounding us to give the full effect. After being the lazy bums on the beach, we decided to eat and shop the rest of the evening. We ended up eating at a Spanish restaurant that looked more like an Italian restaurant from the outside (white, red, and green, called Cilantro, etc. Deceiving.) It was pretty good, and it also tested my knowledge of Spanish from the last time I had my classes back in late May. (It also reminded me of the homework I have put off....) I really was dying to go to this British-style restaurant that I spotted as soon as we got there in the morning called Go Fish, so popped in to look around after we were done eating. Not only was it packed with people, but they had British merchandise. It was like my nirvana. I ended up buying a belt with the Union Jack as the buckle from their display case, and wore it the next day to work when Kate and William had their baby. :3

Bringing me to my work day on Monday. I work at a thrift shop, and Monday was the first day of our "bag sale". The bag sale is held near the end of every season to get rid of the seasonal clothes (we have one in July and one in January). If you fill up a grocery bag with clothing and shoes, it's for 10 bucks. People go crazy for this thing. I had never worked during the bag sale before, so it was my first day on bag sale, and my first Monday working with the crew. As you probably know, thrift shops are never busy, normally quaint and quiet. Not today. We had people waiting outside the door at 10 o'clock for us to open. Within 5 minutes we were probably the busiest I have ever seen the shop. I priced clothing for an hour and a half, steamed the clothes (giving myself a wicked steam burn on the side of my finger) and then, I got to go out and work the floor. By working the floor, I basically folded clothing the fastest I ever have in my life. I was out of breath by the time we got through one of the lines that formed in our "rush hour". It was actually the most I have ever enjoyed working there.

Well, that was catch up. I can't believe it's the end of July already. 43 days to go (it took me 2 days to get this post out). Some more good news is that this post will put me over 1,000 views, because I am at 996 right now. Thank you for following my weird, mediocre adventures as of now. It makes me happier to know someone is able to share my life with me, across the world. (:

Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment