Thursday, July 4, 2013

Ninety's Kids Will Understand (not what you think!)

Ciao miei amici, nuovi e vecchi!

"A wise traveler never dispises his own country."
-William Hazlit
Today is a special day for plenty of reasons. Not only are both the Nationals and Orioles on TV from the comfort of my living room, but it's also Independence Day for the United States of America! Today, our country is 237 years old. Woah! So, here is how I'm spending it.

Everyone else seems to be having some sort of glorified picnic with tons of food, explosives, and most likely alcohol for adults. I am sitting on my couch, youtubing videos of comedians and simultaneously watching baseball, and my mom is outside cleaning the deck. I honestly don't think we've ever done something for Independence Day.... Ironically, I am walking around the house singing Fratelli D'Italia, known to most as the Italian National Anthem...I'm just the epitome of irony today.

For Italy, I have gotten into watching kids shows for a better grasp of the Italian language. I started out with just looking up little songs like Old McDonald Had A Farm (Nella Vecchia Fattoria) and it snowballed into the whole Sesame Street/Caillou/Mickey Mouse shebang. If you are in the midst of learning a language, struggling, growing, or just curious about how a show would sound, look up some videos from your childhood on YouTube! Caillou are very easy to understand. The first video in this link I understood completely (shoutout to Rosetta Stone). My Spanish teacher actually had us watch Sesame Street and a Spanish show called Pocoyo numerous times during the school year. We actually had a few tests on them. So trust me, they really help you grow! They also make you feel kind of stupid, because you have to actually think about what the characters are saying and put it with what they are doing. So, jog those memories of the diapered years, kill your laptop battery, and watch those videos! (;


No comments:

Post a Comment