Sunday, April 14, 2013

Learning Italian

Ciao amici!


Two days ago, I started learning basic Italian through a program on duolingo (which is a totally rad site to learn basics of the major world languages). Although it started to spit out weird sentences like "She is not a woman", and "the monkey reads the book", it rocks. Every time I get too many wrong, it makes me do it over again. Super effective. I'd rather do it than homework!

What actually has been bothering me is totally different. Pardon my mini rant coming up, but it has to be put out there. When I first found out about my scholarship, I posted it everywhere. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, called a bunch of family members, and emailed some of my teachers who knew about me going out for the scholarship. I had to work for the scholarship and so did the 29 other kids who got it. AFS isn't a vacation, it's a learning advantage and adventure. You become part of a family, not stay in a major city (unless you're very lucky) and you definitely don't stay in a hotel. You go to school, you learn the language, you eat, drink, sleep pure Italian culture. So please, if you want to go somewhere to eat different food, hit on foreign boys, and dress like an American, please do not tell me about how you want to be an exchange student. I've spoken with many people about the pains of going abroad; homesickness, not speaking the same language, schoolwork, bonding with new families, learning their culture, losing your Americana... learn the difference between being an exchange student and being a tourist.

Sorry, it had to get out there.

But anyway, Italian is fun until you start mixing in Spanish. But it does help. Gotta love Romantic languages!

Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment