Monday, December 16, 2013

the reality check that I have wanted to give all my life, but never have been able to do so until now.

Sup guys.

Notice I didn't do my typical "ciao ragazzi" in Italian, because this post isn't about my new life and all of the things that I usually write about. This post is for all of the people, especially all of the teenagers that I am among, from my hometown of Quarryville, Pennsylvania. All I want you to do is listen for the few minutes it will take you to read what I am telling you here.

Solanco, ah the sarcastic beauty that comes to mind when I think of it. Wait, no. It's not sarcastic. It took me 3 months and 12,000 kilometers to realize that Solanco isn't the hellhole of a district or living social structure we claim it to be, but a way of life that is so simple and so quaint that the reason we don't like it is because they'res no movement. Let's start to paint some metaphorical pictures.

I still am actively on Facebook and Twitter and I see all of the complaints about teachers, people, schoolwork, activities, decisions made, rules, regulations, morals, codes, cultures, social groups, and physical features of Solanco that are fed and posted every day. So here comes this reality check.

I currently am living in a socially, politically, and economically developed country in Southern Europe. It's not like I'm living in a third-world nation in Africa. But you all do not understand how good you guys have it living in the United States. Now I'm not really talking about social structure now, but on the basis of your education.

The Italian school system is currently a disorganized mess for an assortment of reasons. The major of them being that we are in the midst of a variety of protests against the Italian government because they are cutting funds to the schools. Within these protests are "Sciopero"s, when we all just do not go to school, and literal "occupazione" or occupations when the students take over the school for a week or so. They do this because they want a change in the way they are being educated. They are fighting for their education, a right that they damn well have because it is slowly diminishing. So while we are having a little mini revolution here, let's zoom back to see what's going on in the other hemisphere of the world.

Complaining about homework, people, and teachers in a building with air conditioning, lended text books, prepaid extracurricular activities/supplies, an equipped building with a gym, auditorium, field(s), stadium, transport just for school, computers for almost every classroom, uniforms for gym, literally I'm getting sick from writing all these things. The things that we should be thankful for but we take for granted, focusing on the little things that could be slightly better.

Hopefully you've been able to infer that Italian school has none of the things I ranted about in the list above.

School isn't something that should be hellacious, even though I agree with the fact that most of the stuff that goes on we will never use, it's almost as if to teach you the guidelines of life. Maybe it's unfair how you can go from asking to go to the bathroom to making life decisions in just a month, but that is the meaning of a whole new post.

So, to those that are like what I described above, do me and the rest of the world a favor, and please, just......stop.


PS (slightly related but not completely), watch this.

No comments:

Post a Comment